Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee,
Whether summer clothe the general earth
With greeness, or the redbreast sit and sing
Betwixt the tufts of snow on the bare branch
Of mossy apple-tree, while the nigh thatch
Smokes in the sun-thaw; whether the eave-drops fall
Heard only in the trances of the blast,
Or if the secret ministry of frost
Shall hang them up in silent icicles,
Quietly shining to the quiet Moon.



Friday, November 23, 2007

Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax-- Of cabbages--and kings-- And why the sea is boiling hot-- And whether pigs have wings."



Mr B Baggins taken in the woods this afternoon just before the heavens opened and we both got wet through:) This is specially for GreenTwinsMummy.


Life has been incredibly busy recently hence the lack of posts, I have been trying to get the better of an enormous mountain of apples and have been making lots of apple pies...........



....and apple crumbles. They both look pale and interesting because they are ready for the freezer and I freeze them unbaked. I'm about to start cooking for Christmas now but shan't be doing as much as usual as we shall be having a fairly quiet time this year. Neil,Francesca and Gabriel are going down to Suffolk over Christmas. One of Cesca's brothers is in the Metropolitan police and only gets leave one Christmas in four and this year is it. He's a very doting uncle so I'm glad he'll have chance to spend time with Gabriel.


Gabriel visiting Granny and Grandad on Sunday afternoon, he's learnt to clap hands now and is anxious to demonstrate as often as possible:) He does have feet, they are hidden under the pink elephant!
Kaitlyn was here all day yesterday with a bad case of jetlag having flown in from Los Angeles the previous day, I spent most of the afternoon pushing her around the woods in her all-terrain pushchair so that she would sleep as she wouldn't settle in the cot. She seems to have had a good time in the US and there are some lovely photos of her but I don't have copies yet. There is one of a lonely little purple shoe floating in the Pacific Ocean after she fed it to a sealion while they were in Santa Cruz:):) Fortunately she is due for new shoes anyway and has come back with some smart American shoes with a pretty, sparkly lining.


These last two photos are here simply because I love them, both show the character and individuality of the tree.


In this one I can see a definite face, many trees have faces if you look for them though they don't always reveal themselves immediately.

It's back to my knitting now as I want to finish the little jacket I'm doing for Gabriel. Strawberry Lane, if you happen to read this and would like the pattern for the mittens then e-mail me with your snail mail address and I'll send a photocopy of the pattern, they are very simple to do - and quick, I can do a pair in one evening.

26 comments:

Leanne said...

Rowan I love the tree pics.

Bilbo Baggins looks like he's having a wonderful time, was he barking?

My cat Finbarr (the white one who always seems to be asleep on a dog in all my photos!) is often called Finbarr Baggins here, due to his demands for breakfast, 2nd breakfast, 3rd breakfast etc!

Leanne x

Amy said...

Lovely photos, the trees with the gnarled bark and branches are truly unique :-)

Kim said...

Hello Rowan, it is I, Yarrow, aka Kim from Oakmoon. I love Bilbo Baggins, isn't he a darling?? The trees are lovely and magical too. I just adore trees, I must take some of my dear friend, the Apple Tree Man. He is very special to us, as they all are :) Little Gabriel is a cutie too, what a lovely expression on his little face.

PAT said...

I can see a face in the tree, too, Rowan! What great photos!

The pies look good!

I always love hearing about your wonderful grandchildren. We have a new grandson, born November 26!

Mr B Baggins bears a striking resemblance to the neighbor's grand dog, Champ. Molly loves when Champ comes for a visit!

Good to hear from you again!
Pat

Janet said...

Apple Crumble is one of my favorites! I'm sure yours is delicious.

Gabriel is just too cute! His little hands look so sweet clasped together.

The tree pictures are so interesting. I love trees and have done a couple of drawings of some recently....though not as lovely as your photos!

I owe you an email and will be doing that soon.

Greentwinsmummy said...

Hullo! got your blog link thanks Rowan! ahh Mr Baggins is a splendid chap indeed. I have scrolled down a bit too,your black & white pics are so great!!
GTM

meggie said...

Ahh
what lovely photos! It is indeed a very busy time of year.
I hope ours is quiet this year, but I dont think it will be.

Ragged Roses said...

Hello Rowan, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees trees in faces!
the crumbles and pies look delicious, I think apple crumble is one of my fav desserts.
Gabriel is very, very sweet - good luck with his jacket. Good luck with all the cooking and knitting
Kim x

Mary said...

Thanks for writing Rowan - I was missing your always interesting and lovely posts. Glad all is well - Gabriel is adorable. The apple pies and crumbles, ummm! I can taste them now. Do you use Bramley apples? We don't have them here unfortunately.

Love trees - can see the man - and right now am busy raking leaves falling from our many oak, hickory and maple trees.

I'm not rushing the decorating, just doing a bit at a time as I find it more enjoyable this way. Oh yes, I do remember my childhood and putting the little tree up on Christmas Eve - with live candles attached to the branches - can you believe the house didn't burn down!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful baby! I love the dog too. He must LOVe those walks in the woods.

Julie said...

Gabriel is so cute - you must be a proud Grandma indeed. And it is always nice to see the delightful B. Baggins.

I have missed you but can understand your not having time with all your holiday preparations.

Thank you for posting those pictures about the trees. I can definitely see a face. Thanks to you and Leanne I think a lot more about trees than I used to.

Julie

Anonymous said...

So lovely to hear from you again !!! Those pies look great and what a great idea to freeze them before baking. Never thought of that one ; )
Such a cute little grandson you have, with such beautiful big eyes !!! You must be so proud.
Have a great day !!!

Marilyn in NM said...

Oh you must post the little jacket you're knitting for Gabriel! And by the way, I've got the best yarn for the little Mary Jane's. You have such a special place in my heart for sharing that pattern with me....thank you.
Also, I just love your Mr. Baggins!
Hugs,
Marilyn

Linda G. said...

As always, I've throughly enjoyed your post, begining to end. My favorite picture this time is Gabriel although I enjoyed Mr. B. and the trees very much..I do see the face, but can't focus as I'm overcome by a craving for apple crumble....with cream...thank you!
One can but dream....

Sheila said...

I love the look on Gabriel's face..! It's nice having the grands to visit isn't it.
I have a taste for apple crumble now..! I'll bet yours is delicious.

Rosie said...

Your apple pie and crumble look delicious. The tree photos are wonderful - I see the face. I remember when I was a child I used to lie in bed and see faces in the yellow rose trellis wallpaper in my bedroom. Little Gabriel look as if his is enjoying his visit with you.

Miss Robyn said...

those trees are divine, Rowan! I have tree friends now, thanks to you.. I say hello to them when I go walking. so very wise they are..

Kelli said...

It sounds like you are keeping busy and having fun with your family! The trees are amazing, thank you for sharing them with us! Also, thank you for telling me about your favorite hot drink. Do you have a recipe for the hot rum and blackcurrant? It sounds wonderful! I made a hot buttered rum drink for Thanksgiving. Water, butter, brown sugar and spices go into a crockpot for 5 hours, then you add the rum and top off each mug with some whipped cream. It was yummy. :0)
Have a wonderful week!
Kelli

Curlew Country said...

Hello Rowan, what an adorable chap Gabriel is - and such a wonderful name. You must be very proud. Gorgeous pictures as ever.
Stephx

Julie said...

Hi, Rowan,

I've been informed that the December painting on my blog is called "Summer" by Emma Florence Harrison.

Yes - summer! weird. I googled her and found out she was a Pre-Raphaelite and Art Nouveau painter. I had never heard of her before. She has a lot of other lovely paintings as well.

Julie

Tea said...

Your little Gabriel is so sweet and that`s funny about the shoe! Really interesting looking trees!

tea
xo

kate said...

Hi Rowan,

Little Gabriel is such a sweetie. Christmas without him will be quieter - so it's great you get to spend time with him regularly!

I can imagine Kaitlyn's little purple shoe floating away ... what a great image!

The tree trunks you photographed are beautiful and could no doubt tell a few wonderful stories!

peppylady (Dora) said...

It seem everyone is busy around Christmas Time.
Your grandson is very handsome and I have an Aunt & Uncle one day a week all there Great Grand Children comes and visit that lives local.

rel said...

Rowan,
Ah trees, like gifts you've shared, and along with the traditions you've shared has put me in a festive spirit. You're a busy girl, making life a pleasure for all around you, as well as yourself I'm sure.
rel

Nabeel said...

hmm .. of shoes and ships .. very interesting title. I like the tree pictures too .. especially the tilted one. trees are the grandfathers of nature .. well no it's the mountains I think.

Anonymous said...

It's great to see you posting again - I've missed it! Gabriel is growing up and looking very pleased with himself. Now the real task is to get him to pat himself on the back when he's done something good :)

My Mum always sees faces and body-shapes in trees, I love how even of the same species they are all so different and unique. Moulded by their surroundings; very like humans.

And finally, the apple pie and crumble both look absolutely and completely wonderful! How could you put those in the freezer - that takes willpower!