Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee,
Whether summer clothe the general earth
With greeness, or the redbreast sit and sing
Betwixt the tufts of snow on the bare branch
Of mossy apple-tree, while the nigh thatch
Smokes in the sun-thaw; whether the eave-drops fall
Heard only in the trances of the blast,
Or if the secret ministry of frost
Shall hang them up in silent icicles,
Quietly shining to the quiet Moon.



Thursday, August 25, 2016

Waiting



For me August has always been a month of waiting - waiting for the first small signs of autumn. It is the crown of the agricultural year but still it is my least favourite month. I think the only place to really enjoy August is by the sea relaxing on a sandy beach and exploring rock pools or walking along the cliffs. I live quite a long way from the sea and to me this time of year always seems tired as though the Earth Mother is exhausted after the exertions of the spring and summer and, like me, is just waiting for the renewed energy that the autumn brings.
The photo shows the field across the lane from my son's house in Suffolk which has just been harvested and is also waiting. Soon the plough will be turning the stubble and preparing the field for sowing the next crop.


There are those who do enjoy August though especially on hot sunny afternoons when they can play in the paddling pool.


Rowan berries - always the first of the autumn berries to ripen and always a welcome sight, a lovely splash of colour among the greens and browns that are the dominant colours in the countryside in August.


Blackberries are beginning to ripen now and there seem to be a lot of good sized ones around this year.


Autumn is my favourite of all the seasons but the one thing I don't enjoy about it is the procession of spiders that come into the house looking for a warm place to spend the winter. I have no problem with snakes, mice, frogs, slugs etc but I'm absolutely terrified of spiders. Nevertheless I do admire the beauty of the intricate webs that some of them spin.


Up on Blackamoor some of the bracken is beginning to turn to the lovely warm golden tones of autumn.


August often brings hot, humid days that don't suit either me or B Baggins. I try to walk in woodland where there is access to streams where he can cool off and have a drink on days like we've been having recently. This is on Blackamoor but the lower part which is wooded and where we pass three streams evenly spaced apart, this makes a big difference to his ability to do this walk.


B Baggins is coming up for 131/2 now and with only three legs he does well to still be able to manage it. There's a pretty steep climb up Lenny hill but it's at the beginning of the walk and once he's at the top it's all flat or downhill the rest of the way. So here he is - he's waiting too, not for autumn but for a treat to appear from my pocket:)

13 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I enjoyed that; it was relaxing to read and the photos are great. love the shot in your header, by the way. B Baggins seems to be a bit of a trooper!

Lynda (Granny K) said...

I usually enjoy September and October very much. I've had to remove a few small spiders lately and find a sheepskin duster thing (on the end of a long stick) is useful as the spiders seem quite happy to climb on. They are then propelled at speed towards the open window, a good shake and they are gone! Larger spiders call for the glass and card method - I really have to 'stiffen the sinews' for that though!

Mac n' Janet said...

August is one of my least favorite months too. I long for Autumn so I can be outside more. You said you have a significant birthday in a few weeks, me too, towards the end of September. Can't believe how old I'm getting.
B Baggins is amazing! I can't do hills at all.

Cheryl said...

Dear B Baggins.....I have soft spot for elderly dogs. They are so enchanting. A softness about them.

I understand your fear of spiders they move so quickly and can be quite large. I am ok with them fortunately, their webs are wonderful pieces of artwork.

Autumn will come soon enough.........

Mary said...

Dear old B. Baggins - he's just an amazing fellow!

I'm not enjoying August at all - just far too hot, too humid, too dry, roll on September, even though I'll be gone for much of it!
October I love the most, my birthday month as well as others in my family, the change in the weather felt at long last, and thoughts of autumn which is so beautiful.

Wish I was petite enough to swim in the paddling pool, haha!

Hugs - Mary

The History Anorak said...

I fully agree. August is neither one thing nor the other. September, on the other hand, brings its own beauty - and our holidays!

The spiders are OK but last week I put out some pumpkin plants to harden before planting out - and lost every one overnight to slugs. Not sure I have time to start again. Or how I'd protect a new bunch anyway.

Roy Norris said...

August does however mean a lot of butterflies D.
I like to see the Autumn berries and fruits as well, especially Rowan.
That normally means Bullfinches and also early Winter visitors like the Redwing feeding away on the berries.

Louise said...

Lovely see Bilbo B still being able to enjoy some walks :)

I like August for insect life but I think at this point in the year I can never wait for September and October (aside from the back to school bit!) as autumn has so much to offer!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely post to read, and I liked your photo's too.

Great to see a paddling pool in good use, our grand-children adore splashing about in theirs.

I just cannot believe it will be September on Thursday - but it will be!

All the best Jan

Jenny Woolf said...

I always find August a bit desperate because it seems as if summer is trying to hang on before you definitely have to admit it's autumn. But then I am very much a spring person. I do love it for the blackberries though - it's the best month for them, I think! And it has happy memories too because it was always the month you were off school!

elaine said...

Autumn is really just around the corner now, the nights slowly drawing in and a slight chill on the air. Woodland walks at this time of year are magical, the blackberries round here are slow to ripen, but there is always the joy of fungi hunting instead.

Gracie said...

Here in north Italy where I live there's still a good 33°C, fall seems really far away!

bright star said...

I also do not like August that much. When Autumn comes I feel relived. Lovely post Rowan.