Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee,
Whether summer clothe the general earth
With greeness, or the redbreast sit and sing
Betwixt the tufts of snow on the bare branch
Of mossy apple-tree, while the nigh thatch
Smokes in the sun-thaw; whether the eave-drops fall
Heard only in the trances of the blast,
Or if the secret ministry of frost
Shall hang them up in silent icicles,
Quietly shining to the quiet Moon.



Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Rain on the windows

It's a wet night and though it's still August there's a very autumnal feel about it. I love the sound of the rain beating against the window and a wind howling round the house when I'm safe and warm inside either tucked up in bed or curled up on the sofa with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate. Not so pleasurable if you have to go out in it of course! There's no wind tonight and the rain is a welcome sound after the long dry summer, you can see the garden practically lapping it up. I'm glad now I've made the effort the last couple of days to go and work out there in spite of my sprained thumb which has made gardening practically impossible for the last three weeks and even now it isn't easy. Amazing how much you use your thumb for, it isn't until you don't have the use of it that you really realize - no knitting, no cross-stitch, no driving. On the other hand no washing up, no peeling vegetables - there's a positive side to everything!
This is my first post on my first blog so hopefully from now I shall keep up with it regularly as the seasons pass and the wheel of the year turns.

2 comments:

Tea said...

Hi Rowan,

I found you through Daisy. Looking forward to reading your blog :)

tea
xo

Janet said...

Oh, I hope you keep up with it, too....I love your descriptions. I found you thru Tea and Margaritas!