Therefore all seasons shall be sweet to thee,
Whether summer clothe the general earth
With greeness, or the redbreast sit and sing
Betwixt the tufts of snow on the bare branch
Of mossy apple-tree, while the nigh thatch
Smokes in the sun-thaw; whether the eave-drops fall
Heard only in the trances of the blast,
Or if the secret ministry of frost
Shall hang them up in silent icicles,
Quietly shining to the quiet Moon.



Monday, February 02, 2009

Snow



Like many other parts of the country we've been having some snow though it's only a light covering so far. It's beginning to snow more steadily now though and I suspect there'll be a fair amount by morning. I forgot to take my camera when I took B Baggins out this afternoon. He absolutely loves the snow and was racing up and down and rolling on his back waving his legs in the air and generally having a thoroughly good time. I've just opened the French window and taken a couple of shots down the garden.


This is the magnolia with a couple of the birdfeeders, I love seeing the white snow against the black tracery of twigs and branches. The garden has been full of birds all day between snow showers. The niger seed feeder has had goldfinches, siskins and redpolls on it all at the same time. I shall have to get all the feeders filled up again first thing tomorrow and see if I can get DH to take some photos, he's better at photographing birds than I am.

6 comments:

Janet said...

It looks beautiful! I was just reading online about the snow England is getting and I thought of you. As long as you don't have to get out and drive in it it's wonderful! But I mostly like seeing it in a picture or far, far away from me! The older I get the less I enjoy the snow.

Sheila said...

Like Janet, I had just seen the news about the snow in the UK when I went online. It looks like your part of the country is getting the worst of it.
It does look pretty, I agree that the bare tree limbs look lovely against the snow.

Unknown said...

Rowan,

What a beautiful picture. I go from loving the coziness and beauty of a snowy landscape to resistance and weariness from trudging through it. We have had snow since mid November and how I long for daffodils and robins !

Janice (NY)

Mary said...

Have just seen London in the snow on TV - amazing pics because this is such an unusual happening in that city....and not a snow plow in sight!

Your garden looks so lovely - nothing like a covering of snow to make everything so beautiful and clean looking....and the birds show up so much better in the snow.

Thanks for sharing the snow fall Rowan. Hope things are going well for George now.

PAT said...

It looks beautiful!

I heard about the snow in England. We were having snow just about the same time! We don't seem to have the really big snows we had when I was a child.

We visited our grandchildren last Saturday, while they were sledding and making snow angels. They certainly enjoyed it.

We have snow days nowadays. Kids don't go to school, because roads are bad. I don't remember having snow days when I was growing up.

Julie said...

Now that looks much more like it looks around here!